The museum was opened on 23 June 2011 by Lord Faulkner of Worcester, president of the Heritage Railway Association.
The museum at Sheffield Park tells the story of the Bluebell Railway, which began as the Lewes and East Grinstead Railway (LEGR) in 1882, being taken over by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (LBSCR) a year later. It also outlines how railways developed from the horse drawn railways of the 1600s, to steam locomotives and then electric trains.
Lord Faulkner of Worcester, president of the Heritage Railway Association (centre).
Sam Bee a trustee of The Bluebell Railway Trust (right).
Tony Drake, Museum Curator (left).
The tenacity and diligence of those responsible for acquiring the items which record the history of railways in Southern England has resulted in one of the finest collections available and one which is of national importance.