New Exhibits are frequently added to the Bluebell Railway Museum. Acquisitions are donated by people with items of interest or purchased from Museum funds.
Recent Accessions and News Update
Bridge Diamonds - Newhaven Harbour
Bridge Diamonds were erected on either side of road overbridges to inform the drivers of large vehicles of the maximum load the bridge could carry. The original Bridge Diamond on display in the Museum has been replaced by the version shown here. This is more appropiate for the Musuem as it comes from one of the bridges over the Newhaven Harbour. As can be seen from the above image the sign was erected by The Newhaven Harbour Company, London Bridge Terminus. Following the Grouping the sign would have had a Southern Railway overlay over the original name. The holes where this was fixed can be seen.
The sign was purchased from Museum funds.
Terrier of the Bournemouth Direct Railways Act 1883
The Terrier shows all the plans and land purchases for the construction of the direct railway from Brockenhurst to Christchurch and doubling of the railway between Christchurch and Bournemouth. It also includes details of the bridges required and shows buildings etc that need to be demolished. Later expansions have also been added including by the Southern Railway.
Purchased for the Archive by members of the Museum Archive Group.
A demonstration signal has been erected outside the Museum signal box. It is the refurbished up starter from platform 2, replaced last year. It is connected to lever 6 in the signal box so can be operated. The closeness of it to the signal box allows visitors to see the rods and levers which make it operate.
The cost of refurbishment was met by a grant from the Bluebell Railway Trust. The Museum is grateful to Bluebell S+T for help in making the signal operable.
The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway bridge parapet plaque
The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway bridge parapet plaque (left above) is from the East Dulwich to Tulse Hill railway line in South East London. It features on the left the coat of arms of the LB&SCR and on the right those of Edward Alleyn, born 1566 who was a successful Shakespearian actor. He started buying land in Dulwich in 1605 which became known as the Dulwich Estate. To construct the railway across the land the LB&SCR paid Alleyn Estate a large sum of money which was used to build what is now Dulwich College. This was originally called Alleyn's College and the centre part of the plaque shows the letters A and C plus the date the bridge was constructed, 1866.
Many of the plaques are still in situ on both over and under bridges around Dulwich. The picture, right, shows the four crests on the over bridge outside North Dulwich station.
This plaque was purchased by the Museum.